Sunday, October 28, 2012

REFLECTIONS


Within the very general category of locations I like to photograph, there are the sub-texts. For example, I like to take photos in the woods and I like to shoot in the city. One of the sub-text categories in the latter is store window reflections. What's interesting to me is that I don't primarily seek out the store windows, as much as come upon them within the general, bigger location. As with a lot of what I photograph, and have posted here, the trends and directions of my photography only become clear to me after taking the photographs. Having a body of work that spans some 40 years, I do have the luxury of looking back and assessing images that although taken years apart bear strong connections. In a sense, it is not too far removed from what Minor White described as "found photographs."

Below are three photos of store windows. The first one was taken a little over 39 years ago, on Kodak Ektachrome. The last one, 2 months ago, digitally, with a Canon Rebel Xsi and Tamron 17-270mm zoom lens.




Retail District, Boston–8.1973

Out of the Closet, Atwater Village, Los Angeles–4.2007

Dreamless, Salem, Oregon–8.2012

On previous posts, I've mentioned that I try always to limit post work to what can be done in a traditional darkroom. Usually, I'll reveal anything I have done otherwise. And, if I photograph something in monotone (black & white), I almost always process and display it that way. This is one of the exceptions. I shot this as a monotone jpg. with a color RAW file. When I clicked on the RAW file I realized I liked it better. But, as I say, minimal Photoshop work was done. except dodging and burning, and some exposure control. I've entitled it Dreamless as a bit of a private joke having to do with my sleep habits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment